Which is better chlorine or peroxide do you think? What is the advantage of hydrogen peroxide as opposed to chlorination?
Thank you for getting contacting us. We can definitely help set you up with a hydrogen peroxide system to correct your issues with odor and leave your cold and hot water smelling and tasting great.
Hydrogen peroxide is made from hydrogen and oxygen.. and when its added to water it rapidly breaks down into hydrogen and water. After the peroxide thoroughly treats the iron, odor and kills iron bacteria, there is no chemical residual left.
Chlorine bleach is sodium hypochlorite so there is a small sodium residual added to the water after chlorine interacts with iron and odors.
Hydrogen peroxide costs about three times the cost of chlorine bleach. After the peroxide is added, no residual disinfection agent exists in the water. With chlorine, it can be adjusted so there is some chlorine left in the water to continue to disinfect long distribution lines, or if there is a community system where a chlorine residual is desired or required.
Generally however water treated with peroxide is great and has an excellent effect on water quality, making it taste and smell great. It is more powerful and more effective than chlorine particular if the pH is greater than 7. Chlorine is most effective if the pH of your water is less than 7, and when it is higher than 7, you have to use a lot more chlorine to do the job.
See this link to peroxide systems for well water odors here.
Out of the items listed on our hydrogen peroxide page, all are extremely useful and important, though there is some room for variation.
- First, you definitely would want the pump and solution tank package which will perform the actual injection of the peroxide into your line. This is crucial for the process, and the pump is actually quite easy to set up and install.
- Additionally, you would definitely want the 40-gallon contact tank, because treating odors is not instantaneous- it takes some time for the reaction to take place. The contact tank allows adequate mixing time for the peroxide to do its job and neutralize the odors. If you do not have room for a contact tank, or you don’t want the expense of one, you can still use peroxide, but you will need to use more peroxide, since there is less contact time after the peroxide is injected.
- We also recommend hydrogen peroxide itself, which we sell in 4-gallon cases. The peroxide has a 7% solution that is safe for drinking water. Some people choose to acquire peroxide locally instead, so, it is considered an optional item.
- The carbon backwash filter is also often considered optional, though extremely useful. The carbon filter is used to absorb any remaining or leftover traces of odor, while at the same time removing the hydrogen peroxide from the water as well. This results in very pure, clean tasting odorless water without any added chemical. I personally recommend it very strongly, but once again, it is optional.
- Finally, we also offer a high-quality hydrogen peroxide test kit for monitoring the peroxide levels. It uses a liquid solution and is highly accurate. Most customers do purchase this along with the peroxide system, though it is not mandatory either.
Please take a look a the equipment below:
45MHP-10 Metering Pump & Solution Tank
Stenner Pump with 15 gallon heavy-duty polyethylene solution tank; Pump output 0.5 to 10.0 gallons per day (1.9 to 37.9 liters per day); voltage 115 or 220V; 60 Hz. This is a complete system that comes with everything you need: solution tank; metering pump; tubing; fittings; and injection check valve.
Excellent Warranty: 1 Year on the metering pump
40 Gallon Contact Tank
The CT-40 tank is a durable easy-to-install retention tank designed to provide optimum contact time during chemical treatment. These lightweight seamless totally non-corrosive retention tanks are ideal for new and replacement installation where durability is at a premium. 100% non-metallic polymer materials. Impervious to chemical attack. Comes with 1-1/4 inch inlet.
2 sizes to choose from, same price Either 16”Diameter x 58”Tall or 21” Diameter x 36” Tall
Hydrogen Peroxide NSF Grade for Drinking Water
Safe 7% solution.
Case of 4 1-gallon containers
Average use is 1/2 gallon to 2 gallons per month depending on level of odors and amount of water used.
Carbon 7000 Backwash Filter 1.5 CF for Your Home
Includes 1.5 cubic feet of Carbon filter media; and Fleck 7000 115v control valve.
All the filter media you need for the system is included. Excellent for use in absorbing chemicals in water and removing many tastes and odors.
Much longer life and higher flow rates than carbon filter cartridges.
Excellent Warranty: 5 Years on Control Valve & 10 years on the media tank.
Hydrogen Peroxide Test Kit, Model HYP-1
Hach Hydrogen peroxide Color Disc 1 - 10 mg/L 100 tests
Item Code: L1003620, Hydrogen Peroxide test kit as H202, Drop count titration type using Thiosulfate.