Monday, December 7, 2015

Seasonal Problems: Winterizing Calcite Tanks

Hello Mr. H,

Thank you for contacting us.  You wrote:

“Currently use soda ash to raise ph.
If I switch to calcite tank, how do I winterize it. It is a seasonal NH location.”

The most important thing is to drain the tank of water, so it doesn’t freeze over and potentially damage the tank or control valve.  To make this easy to accomplish, we offer an optional upgrade that you could purchase- a tank that is outfitted with a drain fitting on the bottom so that you can quickly open it up to drain it from time to time.

To raise your low pH, a calcite Neutralizer Filter would neutralize the pH and eliminate the corrosive effects of the water.  Many customers with this type of water used to have blue-green stains from copper pipe corrosion and after installing the neutralizer see their blue stains disappear within a few weeks.  The Neutralizer filter comes with everything you need including necessary calcite media and simple instructions. Any plumber or person familiar with basic plumbing can install them.

Calcite Neutralizer 5900 1.5 CF 

Calcite Neutralizer 5900 1.5 CF

Price includes FREE Shipping & free pH test kit to be sure of correct operation

Includes all Calcite media necessary to get up and running with shipment

Dimensions: 10" diameter x 61" height   ¾" or 1” pipe size bypass is included

Excellent warranty: 10 years on the filter tank; 5 years on the control valve.
Bottom Drain Upgrade  allows one to install a drain on bottom of tank for draining. 

Click here for more information about this system.

OPTIONAL - Drain Valve Fittings Kit

  I should point out that the bottom-drain upgrade doesn’t come with any valves or plumbing on the bottom- it’s just a 1-1/4” threaded female port right in the middle of the bottom of the tank.  So, you would need to get fittings that go from 1-1/4” and send it 90 degrees out the side to a ball valve for draining.  You can find these parts from a plumbing supply store (probably an online store, as many local places might not have the exact reducers or the 6” long pipe nipple) but you could also purchase these fittings together as a kit that we offer.  If you get the parts on your own, they do not have to be stainless steel and brass, but we strongly recommend it since it’s close to the ground and you wouldn’t want it to accidentally get damaged from kicking it or something.

If you buy the parts kit from us, it comes with a stainless steel reducer bushing, 90 degree stainless steel elbow, 6” pipe nipple, and then you could put your own ball valve on it.  (We sell ball valves too but they’re a lot less expensive locally)