Hello Mr. M,
Thank you for contacting us through our website. You wrote:
“need a system to clean up our well water, very hard, high iron, high turbidity”
While it can be challenging to treat water like this with such a high amount of iron, manganese, hardness and total dissolved solids, there are several options available.
One way is to oxidize the water first with chlorine, then filter with Greensand or Pro-OX iron filter media. However, since there is no sulfur odor present, it is possible to use a standalone Greensand Iron Filter followed by a whole house reverse osmosis (“RO”) system.
This approach would use a Greensand iron and manganese filter first to take out the iron and manganese, then inject Pretreat Plus anti-scalant solution into the line to treat the calcium bicarbonate hardness, and then finally treat the water with a high-flow reverse osmosis system to remove all of the extremely high total dissolved solids content.
Finally, to raise the pH up to neutral, the treated water can pass through a simple calcite filter, which works by dissolving a small amount of calcium carbonate into the water in order to neutralize the acidity.
The following is the overview of the individual systems and what role they play in treatment. This is intended to be informative but without going into too much detail… please give us a call to talk it over and smooth out the specifics.
Please see below:
Installation diagram for you to be easily guided:
Greensand Iron Filter 5900E, 1.5 CF Size
Heavy-duty greensand system featuring a very user friendly control valve. Versatile valve features fully adjustable backwash and rinse cycle and time-tested hydraulically balanced piston assembly provides years of trouble free service! Backwash rate for this is 5 gpm.
Dimensions: 10” diameter x 55” height with valve; Potassium permanganate tank is 10.5” diameter x 16” high
Excellent Warranty: 5 years on the control valve & 10 years on the mineral tank.
This is required to regenerate the greensand media and keep it working.
Pretreatment of Calcium Hardness:
This is used instead of a softener and injected by way of a metering pump into the water before the EPRO to prevent scale build-up and premature fouling of your membranes due to your high hardness.
45MHP10 Stenner Pump 115 or 220 Volt, with 15 gallon tank:
Dimensions for Solution tank: 14” Diameter x 24” Tall
RO Pretreat Solution Antiscalant PreTreat Plus 1100 5 Gallons:
Enough to produce 100,000 to 200,000 gallons of purified RO water
EPRO-4500-XP Complete Whole House Reverse Osmosis System
- 4500 Gallons Per Day (11.4 cubic meters per day) Heavy-Duty Commercial Reverse Osmosis System with Storage Tank and Repressurization Booster Pump System.
- This system produces high quality purified water by reverse osmosis thin film (TFC) membrane using a high pressure pump (included).
- It includes a 300 gallon polyethylene storage tank; a 1/2 HP booster pump and 20 gallon bladder pressure tank with 7.5 gallons of draw-down (pressure switch set to turn on at 20 psi and off at 40 psi).
- The reverse osmosis system automatically fills the storage tank with purified water.
- This commercial reverse osmosis system removes total dissolved solids; chlorides; sodium; boron; fluoride; minerals and other salts using high-rejection high quality thin-film reverse osmosis membranes.
- Unlike light-duty systems this reverse osmosis unit includes a 1.5 HP heavy-duty stainless steel multistage centrifugal pump ensuring long life and better performance than standard rotary vane pumps.
- The unit comes with a white powder-coated steel frame; stainless steel braided hoses; inlet solenoid valve; and stainless steel concentrate control valve.
Upflow Calcite Neutralizer 1.0 CF
Includes Top Fill Plug, Vortech Tank and Bypass
Used, in this instance, to raise pH after RO treatment so it isn’t acidic and corrosive.
Tank Height 54”
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding these recommendations.