We just moved to a home with a well and the water has sulfur in it which we'd like to filter out due to the odor and black staining on appliances. We had two onsite water tests from local companies within one day of each other, and I listed both results below. No manganese was detected.Thanks,CathyDear Cathy,We can make two separate suggestions to consider: using a non-chemical backwashing air charge sulfur filter system, or using a chemical injection system, with either chlorine or hydrogen peroxide. I am going to go ahead and make two separate recommendations:The first option for odor is a self-contained sulfur filter which uses air injection directly in the filter to oxidize the sulfur out, and then passes the water through a mixed bed of filtration media specifically designed to remove odors from water. This is an automatic backwashing system that rinses out the media once every night or two nights in order to keep the media clean as well as maintain a head of air for the oxidation. The second option uses either chlorine injection or peroxide injection by the use of a metering pump, The hydrogen peroxide or chlorine would then feed into either a contact tank or an inline mixer to provide enough time and contact for the solution to react with the sulfur, iron and bacteria in the water, and then it could go through back-washing carbon filter to take out the oxidized particulate matter.
Option 1:Air Charge Iron/Sulfur FilterIron / Sulfur Air Filter Includes:· Eliminator Plus 115v control valve
- ¾” pipe connectors with bypass valve
- 1.5 Cubic foot of Centaur carbon filter media
- Filter tank diameter: 10 inches
- Height including control valve 61 inches
Option 2: Precision-24 Chlorinator Pump
- Works over a wide range of water flow rates for most home water wells
- Good for chlorinating well water flow rates from 1 to 50 Gallons Per Minute (1 - 50 GPM)
- Pumps 0.1 to 24 gallons of solution per day
- Works for line pressures up to 110 PSI
- Choose 120v or 220v. Uses only 22 watts of power.
- Dimensions: 15 gallon model: 14.5" wide x 24", height including pump is 35". 35 gallon model: 18" wide x 33", height including pump is 44".
- Stroke frequency adjustable from 0 to 100 strokes per minute
- Digital speed adjustment makes adjusting the pump fast and easy for incredibly accurate injection
- De-gassing vent built-in makes the pump great for chlorination use
- Unlike Stenner-style peristaltic pumps: no pump tube failures, no rollers to go bad, needs less service, and good for continuous duty
- Uses regular household bleach (5% sodium hypochlorite) or liquid pool chlorine (12% sodium hypochlorite)
- These heavy-duty metering pumps systems are designed to last for many years with minimal maintenance.
- Pump easily mounts on the top of the tank or a wall
- Primes super fast, and won't lose its prime.
- Complete system includes chlorinator pump, solution tank, injection check valve, tubing, fittings
40 Gallon Contact Tank The CT-40 tank is a durable easy-to-install retention tank designed to provide optimum contact time during chemical treatment. These lightweight seamless totally non-corrosive retention tanks are ideal for new and replacement installation where durability is at a premium. 100% non-metallic polymer materials. Impervious to chemical attack. Comes with 1-1/4 inch inlet. 2 sizes to choose from, same price Either 16”Diameter x 58”Tall or 21” Diameter x 36” TallClick here for additional product information.Catalytic Carbon Filter 5900e
- Excellent for use in dechlorinating water and removing many tastes and odors
- Removes chloramines with the optional Catalytic Carbon upgrade
- Much longer life and higher flow rates than carbon filter cartridges.
- Unlike carbon cartridges which can trap sediment and dirt, these systems automatically backwash out trapped sediment, alleviating pressure drop.
- NSF certified, one piece, seamless polyester filter tank for long life
- NSF certified backwash control valve featuring:fully adjustable backwash and rinse cycles to save water and allow maximized performance
- Time-tested, hydraulically balanced piston seal and spacers
- User freindly LCD, displaying time of day, regeneration mode, and gallons remaining before backwash
- Totalizer function, tracking total amount of water treated
- Meter immediate, meter delayed, meter with day override, and calendar clock regeneration modes available (See manual for details)
Click here for additional product information.
Please let me know if you have any questions regarding these recommendations. These are just a few ways of going about it, but really there are many other alternative methods of treatment worth looking into if you would like to discuss other options. x