We are all familiar with the ozone layer, the protective layer covering the earth that protects us from the harmful UV rays of the sun. There is a good reason it's called the 'ozone layer' - that is because it contains high concentrations of ozone. What is ozone or Ozone Water Systems exactly and what is its relevance to the odors in your home?
Ozone is a pungent gas. It is the interaction of the sun's UV rays and the oxygen molecules that leads to the production of ozone gas. As ironic as it may seem, despite its sharp smell, it has the power to purify air and water.
Ozone Water Systems: How Does It Work?
If you're wondering how it works, you can think of chlorine. Both of them are powerful oxidizers and both deliver the same benefits. Some of these benefits include oxidation of metals and disinfection. However, ozone gas works faster, and it leaves no chemical residue in the water either.
The only glitch about ozone is that a room or area where people can breathe it in, ozone must never be used. If you are planning to use water with ozone content for household purposes, it is advised for you to use proper filters.
Ozone can be corrosive, so we do not advise you to use it when you have not installed corrosion-proof pressure tanks. It is not ideal for copper piping, galvanized piping and pumps – systems that can be greatly affected by ozone’s corrosive elements. Besides that, ozone is very convenient especially in treating odors.
What it can Do:
Ozone can have lots of useful functions against odors and contaminants in your home. Some of these include:
- Purifying water for drinking – It can eliminate odors, chlorine, iron, and bacteria.
- Kills bacteria on surfaces – It disinfects kitchen counters and other surfaces by killing bacteria and getting rid of odors.
- Kills Bacteria in the Mouth – With an ozonated glass of water used as a type of mouthwash, you can treat oral infections.
- Clean food – Food like fish, meat, vegetables, and poultry can be free from bacteria and pathogens when washed with ozonated water.
- Fights airborne contaminants – with ozone, you can quickly get rid of odors in your home. It is also effective in eliminating tobacco odors and molds.
- Removes odors in laundry – your laundry can come out completely odor-free with ozone. Besides that, with its purifying effect, it will also eliminate the need for bleach and would decrease your need for detergent.
Purify Your Home With Ozone
How can you purify your home with ozone? There are some devices that you can use to purify the water and the air in your home with ozone. For the water, you can use ozone filters to treat your water directly. Ozone filters can attach directly to your faucet for you to treat your water easily.
There have other products designed to not just treat a faucet, but your entire home.
(If you want to learn more about ozone water infection, check this post out)
A recommended product is the Ozone 500-i. It has a device that functions to treat your water, and it includes a negative ion generator within the unit for the treatment of air. Inhaling negative ions did prove to hold impressive health benefits.
Air with ample negative ions is known to treat people with asthma and allergies. To top that off, breathing such healthy air also improves the mood because it increases the serotonin level in the blood. Researchers conclude that negative ions promote an enhanced well-being.
What You SHOULD NOT do with Ozone:
- Keep it close to electronics - When you are using ozone, make sure to keep it a good distance away from electronics and sockets.
- Purify the air when people can inhale it. Ozone is a harmful gas when inhaled. Therefore, make sure that no one is around to breathe it in when you use it to purify the air.
- Use it to purify room air in California – despite having many people utilizing it within California to remove odors, the Californian law prohibits its use as an air purifier.
- Expect it to remove iron and manganese – Ozone does not remove these minerals, but it does change them so that they become easily filtered after treatment. They might also settle at the bottom of the tank after ozonation.
- Use it as a water softener – ozone does not function as a water softener; it does not remove calcium from the water.
- Use with galvanized pipes, copper pipes, mild steel tanks and other systems that do not corrosion-proof. Ozone does know to be highly corrosive. Pipes exposed to it could end up with leaks unless they designed with special protection against corrosive substances.
- Purify air and water at the same time – In the case of the ozone 500-i, avoid using both the ozone generator and filter for water and the negative ion generator at the same time. They have been fashioned to work only one at a time.
- Overall, ozone’s efficiency in disinfecting has been universally recognized. It works better than other disinfectants with a lot of other benefits to offer too. As long as you use it properly, as advised, you can enjoy unbelievable benefits in disinfection and odor elimination. Ozone can also help you and your family live a healthier life.